Monday, January 16, 2006

Now I'm back in the swing of things...

So I shall post again, superfluously. Not, obviously, that these posts aren't always superfluous, but there you go.

Apparently the government has today sent an application to Paris to ask if the Opera House can have world heritage listing. This seems somehow amusing to me, that it's Paris we have to ask. All their buildings are old and pretty and we must sound like the nerdy kid running along going "me too! Me too!". Heh. But I hope we do get it listed, that'd be nice. I mean, that building was in a Jmaes Bond movie once, one of those great early ones, where the bad guy was like "here's a slide show of major cities with recognisable landmarks which I am seriously considering razing to the ground, killing the inhabitants of and sewing the land with salt. So please forward an obscene amount of money to this, my home address, where I plan to be peaceably at home asleep tomorrow, and by the way, the sentries change at 7 o'clock. Please don't send James Bond then, or we'd be conveniently defenceless." and so on. (hmmm.... I appear to have gotten a little carried away there, sorry).

Where was I actually going with this post? I strongly suspect that the answer is a resounding "nowhere", but let us not be discouraged, dear readers.

Oh, while I'm at it, I would like to clarify that the Lucy/Tumnus fics that I was hunting for would definitely have been Grownup!Lucy/NotAnyOlder!Tumnus. It's just that he's so cute/english/scarf-wearing/shirtless. And he has adorable little hoofsie-woofsies, to paraphrase Good Omens. Plus he totally looked like he had a crush on her. (Ahem)

Anyway, yesterday I went and saw King Kong, which was a very Peter Jackson film. Long and a little unrelenting, but basically pretty good. I wasn't a huge fan of the people-being-eaten-by-enormous-insects/leeches/worms-with-teeth/spiders bit, but then, this is mainly because I'm not a huge fan of enormous-insects/leeches/worms-with-teeth/spiders in any capacity, even just as office workers or something. Am speciesist, it seems. *is ashamed*

The other day at work we had an odd discussion, one of the ladies had had a prank played on her by her friends, who had put her profile on a gay dating site, and she had a reply from this really shy, nice-sounding girl, ehich she thought was hilarious, I thought was cruel and the other lady thought was gross. Y'see I'm all for taking that sort of thing as a compliment, but she maintained that it could only ever be seen as grotesque and awful to have "one of them" (she may actually have even said "those") find you attractive. I'm interested to know what you guys think. If someone of the same gender as you expresses romantic interest in you, are you (a) complimented and therefore accept/politely decline, explaining that, lovely as they are, you are not that way inclined, or (b) freak out and run screaming to the hills, stopping only to scrub any areas of your skin where they may have touched you and so on?

Half a trivia star to each answerer of this question who has an argument to back it up. I warn you that "b, because it's gross" or anything similarly cretinous will receive negative stars, but genuinely backed up answers either way will be rewarded.

For those of you who are my school friends, I have to warn you that the dates for Maroubra weekend are currently in stasis until SillyOleTim can figure out whether the dates we currently have will clash with his 21st. Since I picked that weekend at random and his 21st has to work around his Dad leaving the country for 5 months, I'm afraid his will have precedence, just like Kathryn's did over my skiing trip.

Also, the IB would like to officially extend its congratulations to Alex and Alan, who recently got engaged, and go "ooh" about engagement rings. (some people get clucky around babies, I get clucky around jewellery. Mmmm... shiny)

Anyway, get on with your lives, people, and have a pleasant evening.

40 comments:

Minerva said...

Ok well older Lucy/Tumnus, ok that's alright then. ;)
Heehee hoofsie-woofsies, heehee.

I would answer a) to zee question. I would be flattered but will have to politely decline, as I am not inclined to my own sex. I used to run away screaming into the hills when guys asked me out, but no, I've grown up now. I now run screaming into the closest ladies' room instead. But I don't know if I flirt, well flirt with both sexes anyway, do I flirt?? So I'd have to be careful to whom I flirt. Do I flirt?? How does one person actually flirt??

Actually no, I just smile and shake my head, "No, I don't have a phone, no I don't." *says whilst holding her mobile* But I'm hoping he got the message that I'm taken, even though I'm not, I'm just hoping he got that message.

...

achem

Ang said...

What? I suspect that you may have been referring to incidents there at which no-one else was present. Hmmm... I've never understood this whole flirting thing anyway, most confusing. Was oce accused of flirting with someone's boyfriend, and, when press, the Enraged Girlfriend said that I was playing with my hair when I was talking to him. Grossly Unfair, as I always play with my hair, and don't see how that counts as being flirtatious at all. Playing with your shirt buttons, maybe, but hair, no.

I'm all disappointed, I was going to go away this weekend and now it's cancelled. Can I stil come to Gershwin, or is it too late?

Minerva said...

It is never too late! You are coming whether you want to or not. Yays!!! *jumps around dancing*

Oh yes, would I be able to borrow a cocktail hat or fascinator for a 21st I'm going to in Feb? Pleeeease, I promise I'll take very good care of it. *puppy dog eyes*

Minerva said...

When I got asked for my number on the bus to your house. A South African man asked me for my number where I had to kindly say "No, I can't, I'm sorry, I can't."
Actually, the bus was semi-full.

Sean's Beard said...

Ang, I think you're being really quite insultingly small-minded. Personally, to your question I would answer c) be really quite turned on and call up the lovely boy the following day to see if he's really really interested or just playing with my emotions like 'so' many others I've known who shall remain nameless but needless to say they were bitches and not worth me wasting my youth on...

Umm, seriously though for me I'd say it would have to be a. I'd be flattered but have to politely decline. Sometimes I think I can understand someone of the same gender being interested than someone of the opposite gender, the sad truth is. Sigh, am feeling depressed and insecure now, must go and wash and blow dry my hair to make self feel better. Maybe I'll talk to my pet iguana as well, that always makes me feel better.

Ang said...

No, no, no, your putative (c) is covered by my (a), 'accept' subtype. So that would be accept with flirtation.

This sentence, however: ". Sometimes I think I can understand someone of the same gender being interested than someone of the opposite gender, the sad truth is. " makes no sense. Did you want to put the word 'more' in there somewhere?

Yay for people posting comments! half a star each for Sam and Pun (and anyone else who comes along)

Ang said...

Oh, and me. (a), because why the hell not?

Alicia said...

I'd go, 'Uh no, sorry...' and shift round the corner and run away... Then wonder where I led them on. Mind you I'd do that to anyone/anysex.

I used to run away screaming into the hills when guys asked me out, but no, I've grown up now.

I haven't!!! :P

Minerva said...

Well Leach woman, you better not go screaming into the hills (hehe wow there's actual hills where you are) if someone asks you out on Valentine's Day (plus a card please) coz I'm waiting, waiting. ;P

I wanna see the engagment ring, Alex's, Alex's engagement ring.

Ang said...

Or anyone's, really. Alicia, marry someone you meet in the hills after running into them. Rob Roy or similar, and post ring pics. The blog commands you!

Minerva said...

Lol, yes and bring him to Sydney, we'll laugh when he talks. Strong accents sound funny.

Also, bring him back in a kilt. Oooh, bring back whiskey fudge, or whiskey...

Catie said...

it can be like one of those highlander books! (cf one of my posts on spampage if can be bothered) they're so classy

Ang said...

She was just a time-travelling blog-addicted exchange student, he was just a simple highlander on the run from the cross-dimensional law enforcement officials, hunting him for the crime he didn't commit. How will it be when their worlds collide? How will this supple young sylph deal with this tall, dark, handsome, hunk of man?

Etc etc etc...

Minerva said...

lol I have a sudden craving to do a roundrobin... hmmm...

Ang said...

Heh. Sylph.

Catie said...

i was thinking something along the lines of...

She hated the tall, dark, handsome stranger on sight. He was arrogant, proud and old-fashioned. And yet somehow she couldn't stop thinking about him, and when he asked her to open a cross-dimensional portal so that he could return to his identity as a 14th century scottish knight without being killed by his enemies- a tribe of 31st century police-bots- how could she refuse?

Minerva said...

Yet there was something in the wind ravaged hills of 21st century Edinburgh that made her want to ravish this 14th century Scottish knight. Perhaps it was the cold, grey sky, perhaps it was the bagpipes in the distance, or the soft, dewy green grass underfoot. Or perhaps it was the breeze lifting up his kilt, which was surprising too short for someone tall, dark and handsome.

Minerva said...

*achem* I need to fix my vocab.

Or perhaps it was the breeze lifting up his kilt, which was surprisingly too short for someone tall, dark and handsome.

Ang said...

Points to the first person who can use "manhood" and derivatives as noun, verb, adjective and adverb.

Catie said...

verb? now that's a challenge...

Minerva said...

root, rooting, rootish, rootly??

Catie said...

that's not a word derived from 'manhood'

i think

too hard

does 'manly' count?

Minerva said...

root, rooting, rootish, rootingly

Alicia said...

Lol. If books were 3 paragraphs long, you guys would all be bestsellers :P

I do have whiskey fudge sitting in my cupboard... mmmm....

coz I'm waiting, waiting.
Keep waiting hon! :D

Minerva said...

But I doooooooooonnnn't waaaaaannnnnnnnnna waaaaaaaait. :P for my chooooooooocccccoooooolaaaaate

Catie said...

ooh, whiskey fudge. been climbing the mountains lately? save some fudge for me! (how unlikely do you reckon that is?)

Minerva said...

quite unlikely

Ang said...

"root" doesn't count, but "manly" does.

She trailled her hand down the manly torso af the highlander she hatedd, but couldn't seem to get away from. And how was she to clean off all the whiskey fudge that he'd somehow gotten all over his....

Catie said...

you should put this stuff in the round robin, really

Catie said...

oh, so does 'manfully' count as an adverb?

Minerva said...

rofl, kheeheehee

Minerva said...

DUDE!! THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO LUCY/TUMNUS VIBES!!!

Catie said...

...except sorta

Minerva said...

NO, NONE, ZILCH, NADA, NIENTE

Ang said...

You only WANT to believe that.

Minerva said...

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Dan said...

If you ever have a spare moment with Katrina ask her about Cameron... y'know, Marisa's friend. The bad one.

a) to be honest, I'd be flattered and decline because I'm fairly strong in my sexuality and I also have a very crazy girlfriend that would get very angry. Very very angry.

Furthermore, hello internet land!

Catie said...

posting superfluously my foot!

Ang said...

Well yes, I'd got that vibe, the whole non-functional-blog vibe. Most tragifying.

Catie said...

looks like it's working to me