Saturday, August 23, 2008

In which Cinema is mused on, and Popular Culture found Wanting

So, yesterday evening (Whoa, I really do begin everything "so", huh?) Charming Flatmate Sylvia and I went to the movies, because back in the Mists Of Time, Energy Australia sent us a double pass to, I don't know, thank us for using energy, I guess? Since these expire at the end of next week, and life seems to be getting exponentially more hectic as we approach the end of August, yesterday it was, even though we couldn't figure out what to see. At the end of some truly sagaic indecision, we figured we'd see The Bank Job.

"It has Jason Statham in it!" we said, "It'll be like Ocean's Eleven, but with added Britishness! What a jolly time we shall have!"

No.

To be fair, I was already slightly disconcerted when we arrived, since I'd figured I'd duck into Pizza & Games to say 'hi' in the spare half hour I had before we were to meet (since it turns out that the library was randomly closed at 8, wtf), and the Holme Building seemed to be deserted. I'm not sure where it was, or if it was in fact on yesterday, but never before have so many potential geeks vanished, with so much hypothetical pizza, so completely. There were imaginary tumbleweeds and everything.

Also, we got a smidgin carried away with the catering, on the grounds that Movie Picnic is way better than Movie and then Really Late Dinner, so we still have toffee apples left over, which is pretty neat, also some chocolate with poprocks in it (Weird? or Weirdly Delicious? Only time will tell!{EDIT: Time has told. Weirdly Delicious wins hands down. The poprocks make it veeerrrry strange, but also totally awesome. A++ : Would snack again}). Also we had Oporto and grapes and Pods and drinks and there was Much Rejoicing.

This movie was not, it turns out, a Rollicking Crime Caper; it was one of those movies where someone gets beaten up, tied to a chair and taken to with a sandblaster. This, in fact, is what I'm going to have to call Deeply Uncool. (It seems strangely marvelous to me that Deeply Uncool is my second most severe term of disapprobation, second only to Not Okay. All the more general terms like Really Bad or similar seem weak in comparison, maybe due to the 80s slang? Is it because things that are Bad may just be Bodacious in disguise?) I realise that there was more to this movie than that, but honestly not nearly so much more as to make us overlook this aspect of it.

It seems strange to me that for some people, such a scene is a reccommendation. I can see where the whole opening sequence with the topless ladies or the later scenes with strippers might appeal, and I am actually appealed-to by the thrilling heist bits and crazy 70s clothing, but I geniunely Don't Get the appeal of your basic Horrible Torture Scene. "Where's that get fun?" I cry, Jayne-stlye.

Am I uptight here, or is this just some kind of mental illness which seems to grip boys? Why? And is it unreasonable that it makes me think that maybe there's something wrong with people who look for that in their evening's entertainment? Clearly I'm the odd one out, here (well, Sylvia too), so it's unreasonable for me to judge everyone else, but it is too late for such sensibleness.

Anyway, in short, my point is this: "Srsly, gais, wtf?"

2 comments:

Catie said...

I don't know that you can judge all movies with torture scenes as being bad, although I suppose it is best for you to avoid them if you really hate them. I am not bothered, but would not watch torture for the sake of it.
In other news, yay for new blog posts!

Ang said...

It's not that they're all bad, it's just that I never enjoy those scenes, and I don't think they are often very well used, or even necessary. This is just me, though.

What bugs me is the misleading marketing. If I went and saw Sawm this would be my own folly, but anything with the words "caper" or "hijinks" on the cover is misrepresented if it contains strong violence, I'd've thought.