Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Quests for Clothes

Today I was all enthused, when I got up (not about getting up, though, because that would be Deeply Unhealthy. Getting out of bed in the morning is one of life's Trials, in my opinion. I'm highly suspicious of those who claim to be "morning people". They're clearly up to something. "Getting the most out of the day" indeed. What about getting sleep out of the day? Besides, there will, almost by definition, be other days. Juice those.) ...because I had a Plan. Not, you understand, an "I've got a Plan" in hte whiney sense like that James Blunt chap, which consists of whinging about how pretty my ex is in the hope that she'll leave the guy she was with on the subway, or whatever it is he's going on about, but a real, honest-to-goodness plan. With steps and a Procedure and everything.

You see, next Friday, I'm going to a 1920s themed 21st, (as well as another, on the same night, but this complication is irrelevant to Our Story). The problem with which is that your average 1920s fashion plate is all about the 12-year-old-boy-ish figure, which, I think I can safely say, does not describe me unless you have those very modern types of 12 year old boys that they keep talking about on Today Tonight ads (and, presumably, Today Tonight itself, but I'm Principled enough to not ever ever ever watch it, so I couldn't swear to it.) So the day before yesterday I hit on the rather nifty plan of sewing rows and rows of stiching on a simple shift dress to make a flapper dress. The bugger of this, it turns out, is that shift dresses cannot cheaply be bought for love nor money (although obviously, expending vast quantities of money in order to get a cheap dress would be pointless. Much better to just go ahead and buy the slightly more expensive one, and ignore all that bribing of the shop-assistants rigmarole. But there wasn't a slightly more expensivve one eaith, sadly, so that was a washout). Further, fringe costs 8 or 9 dollars per metre, which doesn't seem like much until you realise that to completely cover a dress in fringe would cost closer to $100 than $50. And I don't want to go to a costume shop, because I always feel that that's just cheating.

On the other hand, the Terrible Draught of clothes that are Actually Red lifted momentarily, and I bought a red top. Which is nice. But still, the Hunt For Red is currently set to continue until next October. (heh.... geddit? No? Well. The Fletcher brothers will have. Hey guys)

Also, Katie-with-a-K,-the-one-who's-my-sister, who was ridiculously not at school again today bought muppets pyjamas, which are naturally the coolest thing since Iced Bread. (geddit again)

Anyway, It's now the 29th of November, which means its' (a) damn near Christmas, so a red top will be particularly useful, and Christmas earrings are now the go, and (b) 2 days until summer. If someone wouldn't mind reminding the lead singer of Matchbox 20, who might even now do well by putting all this rain back into it's boxes with little yellow tags on every one, therefore, it might be a good idea. (Holy third obscure pun in a row, Batman!)

Anyway, on what day of the year was Ned Kelly shot? Bonus half star for knowing what else happened in Australian history on one of the shooting's anniversaries.

11 comments:

Catie said...

hehehe, funny :)

well, how about vintage clothes shop questing then? or just ourageous amounts of accesories?

21st on saturday, not friday, you'll scare pun :p

and boo to today tonight!

Minerva said...

You see I read "next Friday" so I know it wouldn't be this Friday, well I also know the 21sts are on Saturday. :)

Ang said...

Yup, oops, Saturday. That post needs editting nywa, I can't spell "either" apparently.

Sorry again Al.

Jez said...

I would have said 28th of June as well, unless you meant "The date 'Ned Kelly' (the film) was shot", haha, in which case you're very witty and clever.

I have no idea what in Australian history happened on that day, but I did know that the 28th of June is John Cusack birthday.

Ang said...

Oops, tell a lie, I was thinking of when he was hung. Star for Al, plus I star for execution date still available.

Yay for Al!

Ang said...

And I guess since the question was accidentally wrong, Jez gets a half star for knowing John Cusacks birthday.

Ang said...

Half a star for Kathryn!

Ang said...

Ok, a whole satr each for ALexand Kathryn, and also ME, who knoes that november eleventh was also the day Gough Whitlam was kicked out and grumpy at the governor general.

Yay for so many stars from one post!

Catie said...

hehe, trivia gets so complicated and star-laden

Catie said...

for a moment there i thought C&H wasn't working, and nene and jazz's server has already died, so i thought i'd contemplate how close we all came to being TWO webcomics down *moments silence*
o.k., so maybe it's only me who reads them, but i thought it was sad.

Catie said...

where have all the blogposts gone? it's been months! we demand more! (back me up people)