Saturday, June 30, 2012

Stop Revive Survive

You guys this is the second last day of June, which means 2 more (including this one) June Blog Challenge posts, and then it's back to less often. But! I'm thinking of aiming to blog at least twice a week during July, or something? What are your thoughts? Is it worth trying some sort of "rule" like this? I just sort of feel that without it, I forget to blog for like a year, often. And ideas which would become blog posts are milled down into facebook-status and tweet sized chips, rather than being delivered as a lump like this.

It's 3am at the moment, because despite having had all afternoon and the better part of the evening(in the sense of "large amount" not in the sense of "S opposed to the worse part") in which to blog, I still mysteriously left it until I got home. I did bring my laptop with me, though, in case I should have to pull over for a roadside nap and be implausibly struck with the urge to type then. I guess this is a reasonable thing to think, given that my last stop-revive-survive nap finished with a 45 minute wait for the NRMA to come and jump start my flat battery.

Apparently, despite all the warnings and signs and public awarenes campaigns, and despite the fact that by the time I'm 3 quarters of the way down the M4 I really really feel like all I want to do is sleep, it's actually quite rare to do this? People look at me with surprise, sometimes, when I mention it. Plus, the other day, I casually mentioned the NRMA adventure in a conversation which also featured an old friend and a new acquaintance, and the old friend sort of broke into the conversation at this point to say "you know that thing you're supposed to do where you take a nap? She actually does! Weird, huh?" in a sort of indulgent exculpatory way. It was pretty disconcerting, to be honest. I mean, I know sometimes you don't have time, or a 45 minute nap isn't going to cut it, but if you can, why wouldn't you? Especially given how much your slowly-blinking late-night-driving eyes clearly want you to!

I was going to describe the rest of my evening to you, but seriously I am the sleepiest in the land, so I'll boil it down to just what I've already told twitter:

1; I've got some strong opinions about invitations (facebook, email, text, verbal, anything) which give street names but not street numbers. I hate so much having to walk along a whle street just sort of listening carefully for revelry and trying not to get overwhelmed by social anxiety and maybe-I-should-just-go-home-feeling-ness. For this reason, I'm also a big believer in the bunch-of-balloons-on-the-gate tactic or similar. I hate knocking and just hoping it's the right house so much. Similarly, if your house had a kooky name, like The Palais, of the Hipster Haunt, or the Shack, or even just Shangri-La or whatever which you always fondly refer to it as, feel free to put that on the invite, just make sure you ALSO out the whole address. You friends have a lot of friends, and people move: even the people who've been there before will find a proper address comforting, they can't remember which is the right block, the right apartment number, etc, for each friend! Plus, you can't just put "Tom's house" into your satnav or google maps or whatever, unless you obsessively save all addresses. You are not Salvador Dali. A letter will not reach you addressed only with a picture of a mustache and a country listing on the envelope. Neither (literally or figurativeluy) will your guests.

2: Smoke machines add as much ambience to a small party as an extra 25 guests would, but more quietly, less likely to throw up, and more awesome-looking, depending, of course, on who those 25 people you were going to invite were. It was a ridiculously dense fog, in that house, but it was surreal and delightful, and actually pretty great.

Ok, I'm literally falling asleep here guys, sorry. Goodnight, more tomorrow, and then very probably ever again, at some point!

PS. Can't proofread, eyes keep shutting when I try. Sorry for all the inevitable typos!

1 comment:

cardboardsword said...

Do it! At least once a week or something. The interwebs need you. Also, habits like writing are good habits and should be encouraged.