Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Wednesday (next week I'll have to come up with something better)

On way to Psych this morning, say a poster for DarcySoc, which said "relive the chivalry" and "weekly screenings of Pride and Prejudice", and I thought, yes, life is charming.

Woke up very awake this morning, as most days befgin with an epic battle between me and the alarm clock, and only after a valiant struggle, when it becomes clear that I can't win, do I get up, or admit to wakefulness.

Blasted computer shut down for no apparent reason this morning, and lost all the webaddresses I had open. Tehn when I rebooted it, there were no icons or bars on my screen, only wallpaper. Is very nice wallpaper, mind you.

So I had Bio this morning first of all, always tiring. What the hell is a mole? As in a mole of oxygen, not adorable furry creature burrowing in ground and going on boating parties with water rats.

Very much appreciate help with this query, which I insistently await.

4 comments:

Minerva said...

Chemistry
mole: SI unit of amount of substance. Symbol is mol. It is equal to the amt of substance that contains as many elementary units as there are atoms in 0.012kg of carbon-12. These elementary units are atoms, molecules, ions, radicals, elctrons etc.

Minerva said...

Chemistry
mole: SI unit of amount of substance. Symbol is mol. It is equal to the amt of substance that contains as many elementary units as there are atoms in 0.012kg of carbon-12. These elementary units are atoms, molecules, ions, radicals, elctrons etc.

Catie said...

but where does avagadros number come in? i never really understood...

Minerva said...

Avogadro constant: Formerly called Avogadro's number, Symbol is L or N with subscript A. The number of atoms or molecules in one mole of substance. Equivalent to 6.0221367(36)x10(^23).
Meh? Beats me, anymore. Ask Viv of Treeeeees.