Monday, May 16, 2005

Tea and Bogart

Today was the day of the First Tea Quest. First, I rather hope, of at least, well, like 2. Maybe more? Yay for more!

The tea was nice, the little sandwiches were the right size, the adorable cakes and so on were melting and delicious, and the scones were sconified. Mmm...

So, if anyone had happened to, for instance, almost come but then forget and get themselves rostered on at work, and then selfishly refuse to sleep with their boss in order to secure a shift swap, then that person would have really missed out. And, had they mysteriously received a torrent of abusive text messages, I would be sad to hear it, but I'm sure that they would, hypothetically, have deserved it.

I think we should do it (the tea quest, you understand) again some time.

Also, tomorrow, the Beatles are on the Ed Sullivan show at 7:30pm on channel 7. Presumably it's taped, I would assume, given that half the Beatles and, I rather suspect, Ed Sullivan, are tragically dead.

Had a long conversation in my Latin class re. the Beatles this morning, everyone but me likes the later songs, when they were all stoned and so on. Personally I much prefer 'I'm Happy Just To Dance With You', and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand', et cetera. Was mildly surreal, actually, as conversations go.

Frustrated at the moment, that no matter what I do, I always seem to be dead on my feet with tiredness. So so sleepy all the time. So tired of waking up tired and so on. Have figured that have an essay due just about every weekend until Stuvac, and then exams, and then will leave to go skiing the day after the exams end. The net result of which is that I have no mornings on which to sleep in uninterrupted until I happen to wake up in the foreseeable future.

This is the most distressing concept I've come across since I was told that 80% of married couples had met by the time they turned twenty. That's August. (!) Ticktockticktock...

Good God, am getting Bridget Jones looks about my romantic future while I'm still a teenager.

This is not to say that I am particularly enamoured of the idea of getting married any time in the next 10 years, but I'd rather put off the sympathetic it's-too-late-for-you looks for perhaps a little while.

So ridiculous. Something is wrong with our culture, people who get married are regarded as having settled for second best, and people who don't get married are regarded with pity and scorn.

How the hell did I end up complaining about our culture? Good grief. I'll be happy living with a reasonably affectionate goldfish, in all honesty. Possibly a ridiculously obedient dog, who I only have to look after when I feel like it, and which I don't have to train.

Much less complicated. Also adorably furry (a trait more desirable in pets than people). Keep your feet warm in winter, too, I shouldn't wonder.

Watching 'To Have And Have Not'. Lauren Bacall was my age when she asked Humphrey Bogart if he could whistle. This seems weird to me. Such an age gap (and they got married in real life too). A bit like Elijah Wood in LOTR at 18. I'm past it! *wails*

Also, I can't whistle, and I could never bring myself to destroy valuable jewellery. Am not cut out to be Lauren Bacall (don't know what her character's name it, he just calls her Slim) or Frodo. Will just have to gather the scraps of my wretched life (what's left of it, now, in my dotage) and live the rest of my short life out tragically.

Wish to grow up to be Lauren Bacall, but with adorable low maintenance pet, rather than Bogart. Do not find him attractive in the least. Wouldn't find pet attractive either, but then we would both know where we stood, whereas Bogart has a tendency to stand dramatically in front of blinds and call you a dame as if you were fatally attracted to him.

How irritating in a spouse.

Also, tends to kiss "dames" whether they like it or not (although they inevitably eventually do like) in a back-ache inducing manner, bending them oddly over his arm. Strikes me as unnecessarily domineering.

Therefore, will not marry Humphrey Bogart. Glad to have sorted that out. Now we all know.

So if he calls, tell him that I've thought about it, and am touched, really, but no. Further that I would never go out with a heavy smoker, and that will scare him right off.

My blog posts always seem to end up weirdly. This concerns me.

Oh, do you think there's any way that I could have mittens, wear them to uni, and still manage to look classy? Suspect not. Pity, as my hands are cold as of three days ago, and in my experience, they won't be warm again until September. Stupid cold hands.

Actually, in my History tutorial today, I decided to make myself a muff (withhold the jokes, if you please) to keep them warm. Not sure how well it would work, whether I can be bothered, or whether it would be irritating to carry around all the time, though. Possibly it would just be one more thing to carry?

Meh, who knows. Will finish here, since am told that my posts are excessively long. What happened to enjoying my virtual company, eh? Ingrates.

P.S. Turns out that the mysterious commenter was my Dad. Huh Typical. Knew I wouldn’t get to be e net celebrity. *sulks*

2 comments:

Sean's Beard said...

Congratulations Ang, this is simultaneously both the least coherent and the most hilarious post you have made to date. Also, Bogart was very distressed when I passed on your message. I also don't know why he called ME looking for you, such a strange strange man. I did pass on your number though, hope that's alright. Chances are though, that fatal case of death he's had since the late 50's may catch up with him. Okay now I'm sounding weird, I'm going to shut up. Hi, by the way.

Ang said...

Hey there Sam.

Am hilarious! Oh the cleverness of me...